21.2.12

SARINA_HAWKINS


So... after clearing out the basement I thought I would get stuck right in to shooting my housemate Sarina Hawkins. Although horribly shy about having her photograph taken, she always proves to be a natural in front of the camera. 


 I invited along my friend Lydia Herve who has the same Canon as me so that I might show her some tricks and tips with the camera. In showing her my methods of just shooting a simple portrait I was able to identify my own patterns of process. Vocalizing my techniques gave me such a great understanding of what I look for... and maybe what I should be looking for which I don't. 



 I rarely encourage the use of props in my portraits but it is something I have considered developing in order to add an extra dimension to my portraits, especially with working on my Portrait of a People project. 

At first the vinyl looked horribly cliche and appeared as if to be stills from a shopping channel. But once Sarina had relaxed with the object, had it spinning in her fingers the vinyl actually proved to work quite well. Maybe we should have had Sinatra playing while we worked... as opposed to Rhianna.



Those who follow my blog regularly will know that I love a bit of movement in a photo. Capturing Sarina flicking her hair was great, and definitely captures an essence of her alter ego 'Roxanne' in the glint of her eye. 




This is quite possibly my favorite shot from the shoot. So natural and her hair looks golden, whilst movement still exists through her hair we can still see her smile.  


It is Sarina's Birthday this weekend... the theme is Cowboys and Indians... No doubt I shall upload my shots from the night... Till then. KW x

No comments:

Post a Comment