3.11.11

Motion in art

So here the art historian in me appears...

Whilst editing my Tribes photos this morning, I started thinking about my own style and taste in photography and the images that I might select for publication over others. The play of light in my work is almost always apparent, especially in my gig shots of late. I use my DSLR to capture the sensation of movement by taking photos at very slow shutter speeds, a technique that registers movement and creates pictures with motion blur, and thus adding character and life to an image. This got me to thinking about my study of painting. (I am in my final year of studying History of Art at Leeds and this came as a natural connection for me to make).

The sensation of movement in art is not a new idea, although it was abandoned in the recent past. For about 500 years painters (and later photographers) in the western tradition have approached the idea of movement and motion in their work

If we take a look at the work of Giacomo Balla, Marcel Duchamp or indeed Harold Edgerton; we see how painters have attempted to make a visual suggestion of motion.


This 'sensation of motion' was origionaly inspired by the advances being made in photography at the time.  before the advent of photography, human and animal movement could only be studied by observing an action as it happened in front of you.


And so to my images as a comparrison..  




No comments:

Post a Comment